March 12, 2011

Wow, just wow.

Oh the wonders this 21st century phenomenon we call social networking!

I read this status update from a Facebook friend today:
Thank you all for the Birthday wishes! Unfortunately I have been preoccupied since November 4th when I was on my wife's phone and saw many email exchanges with a guy she was running with after work. It included photo exchanges. Her attempts at reconciliation were not sincere so it's now a matter for the lawyers. It will be a while before I'm back online with any frequency.
Amazing to find such personal details candidly broadcast in a Facebook post, to say the least.  Here’s my take:

I could joke about the absurdity of it all.  I could say that he shouldn’t have been too surprised, since I remember her being married when he first started “talking” to her.  I could say that she’s a bad person for cheating and deserves to be punished by the divorce courts.  But I won’t do any of that.  Frankly, it's not my business.

All I will say is that it’s too bad.  I regret that a failed marriage had to happen to my friend, but hopefully it will serve as a cautionary tale.  It’s an unfortunate fact that marriage comes with uncertainty and risks, and this is one of the possible outcomes.  Sad but true.  Of course, going in to a marriage, no one believes that it will happen to them, but it would be foolish to ignore the possibility, in my opinion.

Then there is the part about “the lawyers.”  I’m sure it’s hard enough to deal with a failed relationship without the courts being involved, but alas, these two are likely in store for months, if not years, of additional pain inflicted by our legal system.